TCAM: keeping patients safe when they transfer between care providers
Tuesday, 12 March, 2019 7pm for 7.30pm
Eastbourne BN21 4JJ
New community pharmacy referral pathway to keep patients safe when they transfer between care providers
ESHT hospital’s will be launching a referral pathway to community pharmacies across East Sussex via the PharmOutcomes™ platform. This replaces old and often ad-hoc systems of faxed or telephoned discharge notifications. You should expect to see referrals from April 2019 although, but it may be a few weeks before your first referral arrives.
You are well placed to support patients around changes that have been made to their medicines in hospital. Research has repeatedly shown that patients often experience errors or unintentional changes to their medicines when they move between care providers, presenting a significant risk to patient safety. Improving the safe transfer of information about a patient’s medicines should therefore reduce the incidence of avoidable harm to patients, and this has become a priority improvement area for the NHS nationally and locally.
What does it mean for you in Community Pharmacy
- We expect that the average pharmacy should expect to see between one and two referrals every week via the PharmOutcomes system, which will include hospital discharge information, such as medicine changes, along with referrals for post-discharge MURs;
- The interventions that you make in response to these referrals will be roughly equally split between medicines use reviews (MUR) and the new medicines service (NMS), so helping you to drive your advance service numbers;
- We also expect it should help to smooth out some operational processes, such as knowing when a patient is in hospital or has been discharged, helping you to be informed and co-ordinate workload around prescription ordering, deliveries, MDS provision, organising prescriptions with GPs and other aspects of medicines support linked to supply.
What do I need to do to prepare
- This is your invitation to the clinical handover event, in the evening of 12th March 2019, where we will introduce you to the system known as Transfer of care Around Medicines (TCAM) and help you get up to speed on how to use the simple template and work efficiently and effectively with the new system.
- Our speakers from hospital pharmacy, CCG’s, LPC and Pinnacle Health (suppliers of PharmOutcomes) will show you how to use this element of the system and will also let you know of the best ways to liaise with your Local Primary Care Clinicians in case of a query
- There will be a range of resources on the night to make it as simple and seamless as possible to integrate this into your pharmacy processes
Places are limited so book now to secure your place. Drinks and sandwiches will be available. Registration starts at 7.00pm.
Tickets are FREE, but must be booked in advance and are limited to one per East Sussex pharmacy.
Community Pharmacy Surrey & Sussex working in partnership with:
- East Sussex Better Together
- East Sussex County Council
- NHS East Sussex Healthcare Trust
- Kent Surrey & Sussex Academic Health Science Network