First education and networking events of the decade – supporting appropriate use of oral anticoagulant therapy with local topical discussions to take us into 2020
Tuesday, 11 February, 2020 6.30 - to 9pm (latest)
Cobham - last of thtree dates across Surrey & Sussex
Tuesday 28 January 2020 Devonshire Park Tennis | College Road | Eastbourne | BN21 4JJ
Tuesday 4 February 2020, Sandman Signature London Gatwick Hotel | 18-23 Tinsley Lane South | Crawley RH10 8XH
6.45pm for 7pm. The meeting should finish by 9.00 pm.
Click on the blue links above for full details about the content of these first meetings of the new decade, and to book the session at a location most convenient to you.
Part 2 of each event will be a 1 hour education session developed and led by experienced UKCPA clinical pharmacy practitioners
Therapy of patients with thromboembolic diseases is becoming more complex as new anticoagulation agents have entered the market in recent years. Treatment failures and non-adherence can lead not only to severe or fatal consequences for the patient, but it also poses a significant challenge for healthcare providers from unnecessary medical costs. Pharmacists require practical guidance for their own education in order to provide optimal care for thromboembolic patients.
By the end of this 1 hour education session, participants will be able to:
- Recognise the burden of medication errors, including preventable ADRs, to patients and the NHS.
- Describe contributing factors that lead to medication errors and ADRs.
- List the different anticoagulants available, including vitamin K antagonists (VKAs) & non-vitamin k antagonists, known as Direct Oral Anticoagulants (DOACs).
- List the common indications & contra-indications to VKAs & DOACs.
- Describe when dose adjustments may be required for patients on a DOAC.
- Describe potential strategies to reduce anticoagulation medication errors particularly at transfer of care across clinical settings.
- Identify audits you could do to improve anticoagulant safety in your patients.